September 17, 2012

ghost pepper hot sauce seitan wings

2012.09_seitan wings
I finally understand the beauty of "buffalo wing sauce."

Like many, I enjoy the flavor and heat of hot sauce, but at some point, the capsaicin becomes unbearable. Enter the other half of wing sauce: fat! Capsaicin is fat-soluble so the butter or margarine in wing sauce lets you consume more of it than you would be able to otherwise!

I made seitan wings and covered half of them in chipotle peach bbq sauce, and the other half in this ghost pepper wing sauce. To make the wing sauce, I mixed equal parts melted margarine with some ghost pepper hot sauce that Julie made with a gifted ghost pepper, vinegar, water, and garlic. A little bit (start with a teaspoon or less) of xantham gum goes a long way to help make the wing sauce thicker.

2012.09_ghost pepper hot sauce
Photographing a bottle of hot sauce can be frustrating, so I turned it on its side...much better.

1 comment:

  1. This is genius! I've always just used fat separately from heat, like w yogurt garnish on a bowl of hot chili (or whatever). But IN something hot? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete