January 16, 2012

vegan curried vegetable pot pie

curried vegetable pot pie
For added inspiration, the hosts of Dark Days Challenge are posing smaller themed challenges (one-pot meal, valentine sweets, vegetarian meal, breakfast) within the larger challenge of eating local, sustainable food in the middle of winter.  This week's themed challenge was to create a one-pot meal and because I love my cast iron skillet and I love that you can pan fry with it or bake with it, I decided to do both with it.  I also decided to use coconut milk which is a very non-local choice, but it makes this dish vegan. Who knows, if I did the math, it could possibly have less of an environmental impact than dairy.  Has anyone done the math?

Filling Ingredients:
2 potatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. mushroom
1 c. frozen peas
1 c. frozen corn
black garbanzo beans, boiled
canola oil (not local)
salt (not local)
black pepper (not local)
1 T. sweet curry powder (not local)
1 T. hot curry powder (not local)
dash of apple cider vinegar (not local)
1 (14oz.) can coconut milk (not local)

Dough Ingredients:
whole wheat flour
cold water
canola oil (not local)
ground flax seed (not local)

Unfortunately, I ended up having a few extra dishes to clean up: a small pot and mixing bowl.  The small pot was for boiling the garbanzo beans but that was an easy clean.  I had to use a mixing bowl to mix the dough.  I also used the mixing bowl to pour out the cooked filling while I laid out a bottom crust though you could easily go with just a top crust.

curried vegetable pot pie ingredients

2 comments:

  1. I am also quite curious about the local v. vegan math but have no idea how to figure that out. Nevertheless, this looks DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to think about shipping weight: watermelon and tomatoes and the like have a lot of water weight that make it energy intensive to ship, whereas spices, beans, and grains would use less energy to ship.

      But local can be worse if the produce was grown in fossil fuel heated greenhouses!

      Coconut milk, since it contains a lot of water, is probably pretty energy intensive, but so delicious!

      Delete