August 23, 2011

wassermelonenbüffel

You know the story about using all parts of the buffalo...well, we did that with our watermelon:
2011.08_dehydrated watermelon
First: dehydrated watermelon slices. This is pretty energy intensive and impractical since watermelon is 92% water, but the dried watermelon slices make very sweet fruit leathers.
2011.08_pickled watermelon rinds
Next, I pickled the watermelon rind. I just cut off the dark green skin and soaked in salt water (1/4 cup salt per quart of water) overnight. They taste like salty cucumbers--really good! I used the recipes from Dave's Garden and pick your own dot org.

2011.08_roasted watermelon seeds
Finally, we roasted the seeds that I picked out.

P.S. Best watermelon recipe I've ever had.

2 comments:

  1. We got the idea for the watermelon gazpacho from "The Med" in Boulder.

    http://www.themedboulder.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, we'll have to try it there, but seriously I don't think you could beat your recipe. Our friends made it for a watermelon dinner...so good!

    ReplyDelete