November 21, 2009

garlic for victory soup

I caught a cold (frown). Since being sick is no fun and since garlic cures all, Eric and I made some garlic soup while listening to Garlic for Victory. We followed this online recipe exactly except we doubled the garlic. Doesn't the photo feel like you're in a French still life? Sigh... Get me a baguette! Maintenant! Dedicated to Areta Kovalskyj.

Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:
6 c. water
4 potatoes, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
4 bulbs garlic, peeled
1/2 t. thyme
dash of cayenne pepper
salt to taste

We like adding a bit of a the garlic at the very end, so it has a bite. If you add too much, you can always mellow it by cooking.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! I wanna try this, though I don't have an instrument to puree.. but it sounds delicious! Sounds like a nice twist to the purely garlic soup that I sometimes make. Hopefully you are feeling better!
    Garlic for victory!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yeah, I looked up garlic soup in my polish cookbook and it only called for garlic and hot water. PS - we should utilize google wave somehow to finally create our Slavic Roots Zine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I was talking recipes with some co-workers and the topic of garlic came up. They told me how much they liked garlic and I told them that I once put out a record called Garlic For Victory. I did a search to try and find a picture of the cover art to show my people and found this. Thanks for making a soup with the same name as that record. I dig this blog, some nice food here.
    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Andy! Glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete